The keto (ketogenic) diet is a new trend in dietary nutrition. The most popular diet these started to be taken in 2017 and continues to this day.
These diets are an approach to a healthy lifestyle. Preference is given to natural food products in accordance with the needs of the human body with the presence of fats and the lowest content of carbohydrates.
The ketogenic diet is an updated version of the low carb diet.
Principles of the Keto Diet
The main principle of the diet these are low carb foods. The ketogenic diet is based on the processing of body fatty acids. Breaking down the fat of animals that enters the body with food by not interfering with carbohydrates is the key to a healthy diet with this method.
Low carb diet is very popular with overweight, among people who want to lose weight or stay in shape.
With a minimal or complete lack of carbohydrates in the body, fat burning occurs quickly, a person begins to lose weight. Fats begin to be removed from the body and processed into fatty acids and then into the body.
Ketone bodies are fat breakdown products produced by the liver. With active energy expenditure or prolonged fasting, to receive energy, the body begins to break down its stored fat.
Fat breakdown and the formation of ketone bodies is called ketogenesis and is a completely natural process for the human body. Ketogenesis does not lead to drastic weight loss.
Dietary characteristics these
A feature of these diets is the replacement of the source of energy supplied - carbohydrates for fats, or rather decay products - ketone bodies. To reorganize the body and based on individual characteristics, it is necessary to reduce the amount of carbohydrates consumed from 50 to 20 grams per day. It will take 2 to 4 weeks for the body to fully adapt to the new nutritional system. The climactic form of fat burning is achieved by following a balanced diet.
A distinctive feature of these diets from all other types of diets is the limited amount of carbohydrates in the body, low protein content and the presence of fats. The daily intake of carbohydrates in food should not exceed 20 grams per day. Ketones, by-products of animal fats that the body uses to produce energy, must have a fat to protein and carbohydrate ratio of 2 to 1. To maintain a normal metabolism, the body must take in large amounts of fat. 75% of the calories in your daily diet should come from fat, the rest are carbohydrates and proteins. The caloric intake of products per day should not exceed 5000 kcal. The diet does not limit the time of eating, you can safely eat after 18 hours.
The less a person consumes foods high in carbohydrates, the more effective the diet is in suppressing hunger.
The main part of the daily diet should be fat, followed by protein and last but not least - carbohydrates. The peculiarity of this diet, unlike the others, is that salt intake is not limited here, which restores electrolyte balance.
In the first days of the diet, you should gradually reduce the amount of carbohydrates consumed.
With the strict principle of adhering to this diet for weight loss, a person can easily lose 3-5 kilograms of weight within a month without harming his health and reduce the amount of adipose tissue.
Athletes are more likely to stick to a cyclic ketogenic diet, burn fat, their bodies become more prominent and muscle mass increases. The reason for this change lies in the transformation of the hormonal background and the increased process of growth hormone formation. The principle of diet is strictly regulated by the training plan.
Benefits of the Keto Diet
The benefits of diet have already been scientifically proven and approved by nutritionists. In addition to losing or maintaining weight, the condition of the skin, hair, nails improves, food metabolism normalizes, metabolism improves and immunity increases.
Studies have shown that people who are overweight and have high cholesterol, following a keto diet for 56 weeks, not only lost over 25 pounds, but they significantly improved their blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
Carefully, doctors recommend adhering to a diet for cancer patients. It is well known that cancer cells are actively fed glucose, completely excluding them from the diet and adhering to a carbohydrate-free diet, diseased cells gradually lose their activity.
For fans of independent weight loss, without a prescription, the easiest diet option is suitable - these lifestyle.
The ketogenic diet is widely used among athletes in sports that require high endurance: marathon, triathlon, cycling, extreme sports.
Diet promotes fat burning for the efficient production of an energy source, thus contributing to the storage and economical consumption of glycogen (animal starch) during prolonged intense exertion.
The obvious advantages of a diet are an overall improvement in well-being, emotional mood, an increase in energy, an increase in efficiency, an increase in brain activity.
The ketogenic diet is more of a healthy diet, but only healthy people can stick to it themselves. Before starting such a diet, you should consult a specialist, he will tell you what pitfalls he may have and how best to get out of it in case of deteriorating health.
These are the disadvantages of diet
Compared to other weight loss diets, the ketogenic diet is more effective, but long-term adherence can have different consequences.
The disadvantage of this diet is that it is not suitable for all people. When glucose levels are low, the body's glycogen stores are depleted. With a sharp transition from a regular diet to a ketogenic diet, many people experience dizziness, weakness and drowsiness, and difficulty in coordination.
If you experience the following symptoms, you should stop following the ketogenic diet:
- decreased performance and impaired concentration;
- added fatigue;
- unpleasant odor of acetone from the mouth;
- difficulty in the digestive process;
- poor blood counts;
- frequent urination;
- continuous dry mouth;
- ul appetite.
- lack of minerals and vitamins in the body.
Against the background of high-fat ketone food, there may be an excess of ammonia in the blood, which leads to toxic poisoning of the body and disruption of hormonal levels.
In the first week of the diet, you may feel chills or fever, fatigue, light nausea, irritability. You should drink as much water as possible. The symptoms usually disappear within a week, and the body gradually adjusts to get energy from fat reserves.
To regulate nutrition, special test strips are used, which display the levels of ketones and glucose in the blood.
List of allowed and forbidden foods in the diet these
Eating this way should be handled wisely. There is a specific list of foods allowed and forbidden in these diets.
First, let's take a look at what you can eat with your diet:
- You can eat all kinds of meat: beef, pork, chicken, turkey, bacon.
- You are allowed to eat seafood and all fatty fish: salmon, salmon, mackerel.
- A wide range of dairy products: fat cottage cheese and yogurt, cream, cheese, butter.
- You can add any spices during cooking. Vegetable salads can be seasoned with olive oil or vegetable oil.
- Nuts, berries and seeds are allowed for a snack.
- Of the permitted fruits: avocado, lemon, lime, but if you want something different, it is quite acceptable.
- Chicken eggs.
- The diet should contain water, sugar-free tea, coffee, mineral water. You should drink at least 2 liters of juice a day.
- You can drink dry wine and strong alcohol: a glass of dry wine contains no more than 4-5 grams of carbohydrates, and they are completely absent in vodka. From vegetables, preference is given to vegetables with few carbohydrates, according to the principle: what grows in the ground can not be (carrots, beets, potatoes) and what can be on the ground (cucumbers, tomatoes, cabbage, squashgreen, green onions, lettuce). All fatty foods go well with vegetables.
Keto Diet Don'ts:
- all kinds of legumes and whole grains - peas, beans, beans, corn;
- low-fat dairy products - low-fat cottage cheese, milk, cream, yogurt, fermented baked milk, yogurt, kefir, vareneta;
- sugar, sugary drinks, reconstituted juices, soda, candy;
- it is unacceptable to use snacks, chips and crackers;
- all vegetables with starch: potatoes, squash;
- will have to give up rice, cereals and pasta;
- food made with white flour: pastries, muffins, croissants, buns, pasta.
it is necessary to completely exclude the consumption of sugar, some fruits and dried fruits.
Contraindications to this diet
People with diseases of the nervous system, with diseases that accompany the destruction of nerve cells, patients with diabetes mellitus should be treated with caution for nutritional issues.
There are dietary contraindications for humans:
- suffering from epilepsy;
- diseases associated with disorders of the motor organs;
- the presence of any chronic liver, kidney disease;
- gastrointestinal tract;
- with high cholesterol levels.
Diet Keto: Menu for the Week
Nutritionists advise using the principle of diversity. A classic example of a diet for a week.
- breakfast - fatty cottage cheese without sugar and flour;
- lunch - any meat with a side dish of vegetables;
- for dinner - mushrooms or chicken with herbs.
- breakfast - avocado salad with sour cream;
- for lunch - meatballs with vegetables;
- in the evening - grilled fish with asparagus.
- breakfast - cottage cheese salad with vegetables;
- for lunch - turkey with broccoli;
- For dinner, you can make an American fish salad with celery stalks.
- in the morning - scrambled eggs and bacon and fatty yogurt;
- for lunch - chicken boiled in sour cream with a side dish of vegetables;
- Dinner will consist of river fish.
- for breakfast - sugar-free cottage cheese;
- for lunch - green buckwheat with meat;
- in the evening - roasted meat with vegetables.
- breakfast - avocado salad dressed with yogurt;
- for lunch - chicken cutlets with a vegetable side dish;
- for dinner - stew and herb.
- breakfast - boiled eggs and fatty cottage cheese;
- for lunch - boiled beef with mushrooms;
- in the evening - chicken breast with fresh vegetables.
For an afternoon snack, you can eat nuts, avocados, berries, cheese, drink mineral water.
Recipes from the diet menu these
The most common and simple dish on the menu of these are scrambled eggs and bacon or breakfast cheese. For lunch, you can eat a portion of any meat with herbs, green beans. Fish can be eaten in any form with vegetables for dinner. For a snack, you can eat a handful of nuts. The parts can be large and small, as long as the body is saturated.
Here are some simple, complete meals that do not require any additional snacks.
Fish salad:any fatty fish is boiled or stewed, cut into pieces, add: eggs, pickles, onions, mayonnaise or 20% sour cream, you can add a few lettuce stalks.
Chicken with bacon, boiled in sour cream with mushrooms:The bacon strips are fried in olive or sunflower oil, removed from the pan while cooking and the chicken pieces are placed inplace their breasts, fried for a few minutes until they get a golden color, add: water, chopped onion, mushrooms, fried bacon, sour cream, spices and everything is boiled for a few more minutes.
Salad with cottage cheese:Fresh cucumber, onion and Chinese cabbage are finely chopped, add salt and spices, let stand for 10 minutes, so that the vegetablesgive juice and add fatty cottage cheese, sour cream mixed with mayonnaise.
There are many diet recipes here, everyone can choose the best option for themselves from the allowed products.
This diet can be delicious and varied.
Leaving the diet these
After completing the course, in order not to harm health and to come out beneficially from these diets, it is necessary to gradually reduce the amount of fat consumed. To maintain metabolism and avoid putting the body in a state of stress, you should gradually increase your intake of carbohydrates and proteins in small portions.
Along with fats, calorie intake is reduced. Vegetables, cereals are gradually introduced into the diet, avoiding sugar and flour products. The daily intake of carbohydrates in the first days of leaving the diet should be from 70 to 100 grams, it is desirable to leave the intake of protein at the same level.
Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
Nutritionists' Opinions on the Diet These
Nutritionists consider the ketogenic diet universal not only for weight loss and weight loss, but also recommend it for improving health. With proper and strict adherence to dietary recipes, the diet should contain: 80% fat, 10% protein and 10% carbohydrates.Dietitians have written over 30 scientific papers and years of research have shown that the ketogenic diet significantly accelerates the reduction of insulin in the blood, a hormone that promotes the accumulation of subcutaneous fat. Diet improves appetite control, diet suppresses the production of heat hormones, which provokes hunger. Muscle mass remains the same, the amount of subcutaneous fat decreases.
Scientific studies have shown that for the treatment of certain cardiovascular diseases, the ketogenic diet is a non-drug treatment.
Eating good food is not only the key to losing weight, but also has a beneficial effect on the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract, heart, liver and kidneys.
A balanced diet rich in fat and moderate in protein and carbohydrates for a long time, supports a healthy lifestyle, prolongs youth, helps maintain good physical shape. Doctors recommend walking more in the fresh air, a full night's sleep and there are only natural products.